Pidgin-Encryption transparently encrypts your instant messages with RSA encryption. Easy-to-use, but very secure.
- Automatically creates a public/private key pair for you upon loading the plugin
- Automatically transmits your public key to other users.
- Supports 512 - 4096 bit keys.
- Saves keys of known users, and warns you if their public key has changed.
- Embeds all encryption and keys inside HTML, so if the other user doesn't have the plugin, they will get a little message telling them about the plugin, and won't get a screen full of garbage.
- Stores keys in human readable files in your .gaim/.pidgin directory, in case you ever need to copy/edit them by hand. Which you really shouldn't have to do.
- Automatically recognizes if you are chatting with someone who has the plugin- see the Preferences dialog.
- Available for the Windows version of Pidgin.
- Modular and extensible. If you want to define a different type of encryption, you can use this plugin as a wrapper to take care of transporting the encrypted binary over the IM pipe.
Please see the release notes.
You may have noticed translations appearing with recent versions of Pidgin-Encryption. There's now a Translations Page with some more information. Many thanks to all of the translators, and to Davy Defaud for organizing the translation effort.
Check the SHA1 hash of your download against the list here.
See the lock icons that indicate an encrypted conversation.
See the config dialog, with some explanation of what is there.
Has the project page with mailing lists, the Subversion repository, etc...